Wednesday, December 23, 2009

From Start to Start

Day 1- Your Start: As soon as a manager/pitching coach tells you as a starter that your day is done, your preparation for your next start begins.

There are mixed opinions from pitcher to pitcher as far ice vs. no ice. When my arm feels strong/healthy, I typically do not ice. I prefer hitting the treadmill, elliptical, or bike for 15-20 minutes to flush the lactic acid out of my system. It's also great conditioning. If I got pulled in the 5th/6th/7th inning of a game, it trained me to have more in the tank. For future starts, as a starter, you have to have the capacity to get your team into the 7th/8th/9th innings; and, in the dog days of summer, you're going to need that stamina and your lungs.

From there, it is a light dumb bell routine...3lb weights, Y's, T's and bent T's on a swiss ball; followed by a light medicine ball routine, 3-5 lbs., geared towards stretching my my arm out and keeping it from stiffening after a start. If my shoulder/elbow felt inflamed after all of that, I would ice to minimize swelling; but, if it felt loose and strong, I would not. I find that my arm feels tighter the days after I pitch when I ice; but, there are times when it is necessary, in my opinion.

Day 2: This is my big endurance and leg day. I typically run 2 poles for every 10 pitches that I threw on the previous day (100 pitches/ 20 poles). From there, it becomes my squat, RDL, dumb bell front/side lunge, and box jump day. These lifts make me the most sore, and I don't want to be hanging from a lift on my start day.

Throwing-wise, it is a light toss day... 60-90 feet...just feeling my range of motion and release point. Again, trying to hit a target with my throwing partner and playing catch with a purpose.

This is also a good day to bust your abs. I am a big fan of planks, seated med ball twists, flutter kicks, leg throws, and med ball twist with throw against a wall or with a partner.

- I'll also add that I am a big fan of running stadium stairs; especially if you can't get in a weight room. This will bust your cardio and your leg strengthening. While running stairs, mix it up. Go every other step, every step, one leg jumps, 2 leg jumps (you will look dumb), and even front/side lunges up. Again, it trains you to carry your own body weight and is great for your conditioning.

Day 3: Today, I stretch out my throwing and throw a lightly on flat ground or, even, get on a mound. I like to work it back to 120-150 feet; again, trying to hit a target and repeat my release point. Before throwing, I will often add in some towel drills. This helps me to repeat my delivery and prepares my shoulder for throwing.

If I get on a mound, its 30 pitches...no more than 40. Just repeating my delivery, and working down in the zone.

This is also my upper body/back lift day. I will go through a routine that focuses on working small to big muscle groups. 3-5 lb shoulder routine, to DB rows, lat pulldown, pull-ups (various grips), push ups, reverse fly and hold with 3-5 lbs, DB bench or incline, then abs.

For conditioning, I will run about 3-5 hard shuttles. Sometimes 5x200 yard shuttles, sometimes 3x300 yd shuttles. This conditions you to exert energy, rest, exert energy, rest, exert...just like we do as a starting pitcher.

Day 4: If I didn't get on a mound yesterday, I do today. Ill towel drill, throw 90-120 feet (for about 7-8 minutes) and then work it in and take it to the mound; again, throwing to a target the entire time.

On the mound, with about 80% exertion, throw about 25 pitches. Then, I will take a 1-2 minute break and step back on to face 3 hitters as close to game speed as possible. I work honest counts and tell my catcher to mix in things such a 2-1 change ups, doubling up on fastballs inside, and back door sliders.

For conditioning, I will hop on a bike or elliptical for 20-30 minutes. I try to break a good sweat and flush out from my bullpen, either from that day or the previous day. If I don't have access to those machines, Ill go a light-medium pace for 12-15 poles.

For my lift, it's mostly abs, light DB, tubing stuff. Just to tone and maintain.

Day 5: Day before a start. This is my day to tighten up my delivery and release point with towel drills, throw lightly 75-90 feet, and throw a light flat ground series; focusing on keeping the ball down.

Conditioning-wise, I go with 6-8 50 yd strides at about 75-80 percent. Nothing taxing, as I will need to feel strong tomorrow. This just works out any stiffness I may have lingering from my Day 2 lift and breaks a light sweat.

For my lifting, I might do 1-2 sets (usually just 1) of 3-5 lb DB routine. I will also do some light abs.

Also, today or tonight, I will make sure to get in about a 10-15 minute stretch. I really want to make sure that I am loose for tomorrow. The stretch will focus on my legs, back, side rotation and arms.

Day 6/1: Check out my "Gameday Start Routine" for the details of this day.

-I touch on it during Day 5, but want to emphasize that stretching and maintaining/increasing your flexibility is vital every day.

--Also, this routine is geared towards a 5-man rotation/pro ball scenario. Again, everyone is different and there are organizations that prefer their pitchers to be on a mound on both days 3 and 4; but, for me, 1 day on a mound is enough.

In future posts, I'll touch on some more stuff I like to incorporate during stretches with more/less time between appearances; such as a typical reliever's routine.

I hope this was clear enough for everybody. If you have questions about any aspect, don't hesitate to drop a comment or throw me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard