Tuesday, December 15, 2009

UTR Interview: Brandon Gomes

Brandon Gomes was a AA pitcher for the San Antonio Missions (San Diego Padres) in 2009. He also pitched for the Tulane Green Wave in college and competed in the 2005 College World Series.
2009 Stats: 65 Games (led all minor leaguers), 2.62 ERA, 3 Saves, 72 Inn, 100 K, 28 BB, .206 OBA
AZFL: 11 Games, 15 Inn, 3.00 ERA, 16 K, 3 BB

Link: Gomes in Spring Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMz4X8bMEZw&feature=related

UTR: What is the best advice, in terms of the mental game, have you ever received?
It would have to be to always stay positive in your thinking and also to visualize where the pitch is going and what the outcome is going to be before your delivery.

UTR: What do you do to overcome stretches in your career where you are not as successful?
The first thing is to step back and try to understand why you are not having success. Sometimes it could be mechanical or mental, but sometimes it could be just a stretch of bad breaks. With as many games as we play you’re going to go through stretches where the breaks aren’t going your way. Once you’ve got an understanding of what might be the problem, keep putting your work in and continue to stay positive when you step out on the mound.


UTR: When you are most successful, what takes place?
When I'm throwing the ball well, the number one factor is throwing strike one down in the zone. No matter what the pitch is, putting a hitter in an 0-1 count is a huge advantage. It doesn't have to be a perfect pitch on 0-0, it just has to be down in the zone. It sounds so simple, but it's amazing how much more you are able to do being up in the count.

UTR: What is the mechanical aspect that you focus on the most?
For me when I stay tall over the rubber then the rest of my mechanics tend to fall into place. When I start rushing my front side or drifting, my arm lags behind and the ball stays up in the zone.


UTR: Is there anything in particular that you do in between outings that helps your prepare for your next start or relief appearance?
I like to repeat my motion as much as I can without tiring out my arm. I will never go more than 2 or 3 days without getting some kind of light work off a mound to keep a good feel for all of my pitches. I try to get at least two workouts in a week to keep my body from breaking down during the season. As far as the preparing for hitters, I keep a chart with all of the at-bats I’ve had against the opposition for that year. I’ll look over those charts before the game to get an idea of what I want to do to each hitter.

UTR: What drives, or motivates you?
Obviously the ultimate goal is to get to the Big Leagues and contribute to a winning team over a long successful career. But in addition to that, I tell myself that I never want to have any regrets when my career is over. I always work as hard as I can so that whether its one day, or 15 years in the Big Leagues I can look back and never have to say “what if.”


UTR: Is there a pitcher that you grew up aspiring to be like? If so, who and why?
I grew up a huge Red Sox fan and idolized Pedro Martinez. He’s not a very big guy but the way he attacks hitters and his exceptional feel for the pitching was and still is something I really enjoy watching.


UTR: Which hitter over the course of your career was/is the toughest to get out and why?
Michael Aubrey, who is now with the Baltimore Orioles. He was our first baseman at Tulane my freshman year and I’m pretty sure he batted .980 off of me in fall ball. He’s the most balanced and patient hitter I’ve ever seen. I’m pretty sure if I rolled the ball to home he still could’ve found a way to hit a double off the wall against me.


UTR: Is there a
nything in particular that you tell yourself when you are faced with big, or pressure situations?
The hardest thing to do in big situations is to not let the game speed up on you. So, I really try to slow the game down. I use a focus point on the mound somewhere and then visualize what I want to happen. After that you just have to be confident in the pitch you are about to deliver and trust your stuff.

Thanks to Brandon for taking the time to answer a few questions for the blog. One of the best ways to learn/develop in this game is to find out what successful guys do and implement some of their game into yours. Gomes is one of the most professional ball players I have had the opportunity to play with. Hopefully those who have read this blog have taken away something(s) they can use for their benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard