Friday, January 22, 2010

UTR Interview: Andrew Miller

Andrew Miller
Florida Marlins

Link to Player Profile

True Story: In the summer of 2004, Miller pitched for the Chatham Athletics of the Cape Cod Baseball League. He was in the middle of a pretty standard start for that summer, punch-outs and goose eggs; except that one punch-out stood out among the rest. It was against a right-handed hitter who began the at-bat by attempting to sacrifice bunt a runner to 2nd base. Here is how nasty this guy was that summer:

1st Pitch: Fastball, 96 up and in. The guy whiffs on a bunt, and the ball hits him squarely in the chest for strike 1.

2nd pitch: Slider, 87. It started down the middle and took a hard right, directly into the hitter's chest...after he whiffed on another bunt attempt. Strike 2.

3rd pitch (The guys in the bullpen are already dying laughing): Slider, 86. The batter recognizes the pitch starting out over the plate only to realize that it is another slider coming right at him. However, it is
too late. He is already committed to swinging, and when he does, he misses and the pitch wears him in the back of the leg. Punch-out...and pretty comical to say the least.

I've played with some guys that were flat out born to throw a baseball, but Miller tops them all. His ball has a different kind of sink, a different kind of gitty-up, and coming from his low 3/4 slot, a different kind of gross. Here is an inside look at one of the best lefties in the game.

UTR: In your experience in the game, what seperates the good pitchers from the great?

AM: I would say that the great pitchers have separated themselves from good pitchers by eliminating and working on their weaknesses. You would never talk about a "great" pitcher and his lack of control or weak secondary pitches. I would say that "great" pitchers are generally complete pitchers. Also, great pitchers are mentally strong and have an ability to keep their emotions in check. All of these things seem cliche but I believe they are true.

UTR:
Your slider has alw
ays been a very tough pitch on lefties. How would you describe your grip, and what goes into making that such a good pitch for you?

AM: My slider is basically a curveball grip that has a more horizontal break as a result of my low arm slot. There is nothing funny about my grip or my approach in throwing it. I feel that when I am having a lot of success with my slider it is because I am able to control the break and the speed of the pitch based on the hitter and the count and what I want to accomplish with that particular pitch. For example, I may throw a slower, bigger breaking slider to a lefty early in the count for a strike and then follow that up with a harder slider off the plate with more depth later in the count when I need a strikeout. It's rarely that easy, but when things are going well, I feel like I have the ability to do that. On the other hand, some days my feel for that pitch is lacking and the approach is much simpler.

UTR:
You've pitched in some big games over the course of your career. What advice do you have for yo
unger pitchers on how to handle pitching in big games?

AM: I would say treat every game the same. Develop a routine which you follow for every game whether it is a scrimmage, midweek college game or world series game. If you try to change your approach and routine based on how important the game is, your emotions will be much harder to keep in check. Find what works and stick with it.

UTR: What is the mechanical aspect that you focus on the most with your delivery?

AM: Unfortunately for me, this is what I feel like I have been battling with for the last couple of years. There is a very fine line between having good thoughts and having too many thoughts. I think the best way to approach this is to know of a few thoughts that you can use depending on the adjustment you need to make. For example, if I continue to miss up in the zone and arm side (which happens quite often for me), I generally know that I'm rushing my delivery and that I need to keep my legs under me and slow down my delivery.

UTR: Since you debuted in the Major Leagues in 2006, who has given you the best advice and what was it?

AM: It's hard to think of a specific piece of advice as I have met so many great people with great pitching minds and had the opportunity to pick their brains. I will never forget the dinner I had with Sandy Koufax last year when I was able to hear him talk about pitching as I just did my best to soak it all in (which was almost impossible to do because the whole time I was sitting there all I could think about is "Wow, I'm having dinner and talking pitching with Sandy Koufax!"). It was interesting to hear his theories on pitching and how they varied from modern thinking and teaching about pitching. Everything he said made perfect sense and was physiologically broken down. He told me a story about how he used to practice throwing his curveball by having the catcher hold mitt his facing the sky so he could practice having the ball drop into the glove or how he would set a cardboard box on top of home plate and try to throw his curveball into the box (It's no wonder his curveball is such a legendary pitch, it must have been amazing to see in person). Also, any time I could listen to Kenny Rogers talk about pitching I was all ears. He has an ability to break the game down and simplify it. He would say things and I would just sit there and be like "I've never thought about it that way, but it makes so much sense now." I remember a drill he did in spring training where he would set cones out on the mound during pfp's showing the ground he wanter to cover. He would then explain that if he could cover that small area it would allow his infielders to move towards the holes a few feet and therefore get him a few extra outs. There have been so many great people that it would be impossible to pick one quote or even one person that has given me the "best" advice.

UTR:
Other than your two home ballparks with the Tigers and the Marlins, which ballpark & city have been your favorite to pitch in?


AM: I am definitely partial to Yankee Stadium (the old one, I haven't been to the new one) because that's where I made my debut. It was the most amazing feeling to stand on that mound and look around. The upper deck was right on top of you like no other stadium I've been to. Anytime I've gotten to pitch in front of a packed stadium has been amazing. It is so much fun to be out there when the crowd gets loud. Other stadiums I've liked are Fenway (so cool when the crowd sings Sweet Caroline), the Metrodome (loudest place I've been by far), and Seattle (probably the best newer park). Really though, any stadium with a sell out crowd is amazing.

UTR:
Who is the best pitcher you've played with or against in the B
ig Leagues, and what do you think makes him so good?

AM: It's hard to say who is the best overall. I'll go with best performances... Kenny Rogers' run in the 2006 postseason for Detroit was unreal. Justin Verlander's no hitter was so much fun to watch from the dugout. I remember looking at the scoreboard in the second inning to make sure he hadn't given up a hit yet because his stuff was that amazing that night. You could just tell early on that it was going to be special. When he hit 102 mph in the 9th inning I think that solidified it as something that will be hard to top. I love watching any lefty, but especially when guys like Cliff Lee, Johan Santana, and Cole Hamels have their change-ups going.

UTR: During stretches in your career, where you haven't been as satisfied with your results, what do you tell yourelf or do to overcome and work through them?

AM: Just keep working hard and keep throwing the ball. Practice, practice, practice.

UTR: Many pitching coaches have differing opinions on whether pitchers should or should not long toss. What are your thoughts on long tossing?

AM: While I think everyone is different and should tailor a program to themselves, I think long tossing is the best way to strengthen your arm. I also think the best way to prevent arm injuries is to have a strong arm which you achieve by throwing as much as you can. That's just my two cents though.

UTR:
Which hitter has been your toughest out over the course of yo
ur career?

AM: Hitters that can waste pitches and foul off good pitches are the most frustrating for me. I will never forget the first time I faced Johnny Damon and I thought I threw him the perfect slider a few times throughout the at-bat and he just fouled them off. Also, guys like Vladimir Guerrero where there is no good scouting report aren't any fun to face. Chase Utley is a guy that I have to face quite a bit right now who is extremely tough to get out. He stands closer to the plate than anybody in the majors and can cover the plate so well with a great eye. Just a tough out.

-Many thanks to Andrew Miller for taking the time to share some of his knowledge and experience in the game with the blog. From top to bottom, there is a lot of great advice in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard