Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Warm-up LOW

Over the course of my career, I would say that success has come from the simple things. Occasionally I will post some of these as "Quick Tips" or even shorter blurbs that, I hope, will jump out at one of the readers and benefit their careers.

Today's "blurb" is simple. During your pre-game bullpen, warm-up aiming 3 or 4 inches lower than you would aim during the game when facing hitters. I can hit my spots all-day long in the bullpen, but when the adrenaline kicks in, those spots move up. If you train yourself to be down at bullpen-speed, you will be right where you want to be at game-speed.

I've seen 96 get hit a long ways when it's up, and Ive seen 82 blown by guys when down. It's no secret. Train yourself this way and you should see immediate results.

The 2nd grader's drawing of the day is intended to provide a simple visual for warming up low. The green dot is where you want to be in the game, and the red dot is where you want to be during pre-game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard