Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bullpen Report: #4

It isn't tough to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good everyday.

-Willie Mays

Date: February 19, 2010

Number of Pitches: 30

Pre-Pen Goals: Increase the intensity t0 about 75%, work down in the zone/miss down with fastball, mix in change-ups with same fastball arm-slot, and work pain free.

Sequence: (All Fastballs)
Pitches 1-5: From the Set; 2 fb glove side, 2 fb armside, 1 change up
Pitches 6-10: Windup; 2 fb glove side, 2 fb armside, 1 change up
Pitches 11-15: Set; 2 fb glove side, 2 fb arm side, 1 change up
Pitches 16-20: Windup; 2 fb glove side, 2 fb arm side, 1 change up
Pitches 21-25: Set; 2 fb glove side, 2 fb arm side, 1 change up
Pitches 26-30: Set (all simulated 3-2 counts) 1 fb glove side, 1 fb arm side, 1 fb glove side, 1 fb arm side and a change up.

Positive:
- Shoulder felt strong and "put together."
- It was the first time since surgery that I have thrown 5 straight days pain free.
- Worked down and on both sides of the plate with fastball.
- Feel for changeup was there.
- Had good rhythm and feel of delivery.

Needs improvement:
- On a fastball or two, had a tendency to overthrow a bit and get away from mechanics. Causing my fastball to miss up and in to a righty.
- More consistent arm slot on change up. I have a tendency to drop down a bit to increase movement. It needs to stay in my fastball slot.
- Decision making- this is somewhat of a joke; but, before the pen, I opted to throw in the Big League bullpen (where I've thrown the past few weeks) against my better judgement. Pitchers and catchers have reported now; so, I knew I should probably have made the quarter mile walk to the minor league "6-pack" bullpen; but, I figured it'd be ok to get it in since it was 9am. Post bullpen, I was informed not to throw off that mound again.

It's just dirt, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard