Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bullpen Report: #3

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Bullpen Report: #3

Date: February 16, 2010

Number of Pitches: 30

Pre-Pen Goals: Again, repeat a slower version of my delivery that allows my arm to stay on time, work down in the zone, resist the urge to see how hard I can throw, and work pain free.

Sequence: (All Fastballs)
Pitches 1-8: From the Set; 4fb glove side, 4 fb armside
Pitches 9-18: Windup; 4 fb glove side, 5 fb arm side
Pitches 19-25: Set; 2 fb glove side, 2 fb arm side, 1 fb glove side
Pitches 26-30: Set: 3-2 counts, 2 fb glove side, 2 fb arm side, 1 fb glove side

Evaluation:

Positive:
- Pain free
- Didn't work down in the zone as much as Bullpen #2, but good enough.
- Good job repeating delivery/release point
- Good downward plane on fastballs
- Arm stamina continues to improve
- Progressed

Needs improvement:
- As always, I need to continue to work on trusting shoulder a) after hands have broken from glove and b) after release and begin to decelerate; finish the pitch
- Continue to resist the urge to throw harder; stay with the process
- Direction: my front side (shoulder) has a tendency to open up and fall towards first a hair. I need to do a better job of staying closed and taking it straight to the mitt.

In my experience through these seven months of rehabbing my shoulder, I have learned that there are three types of days: Days where you feel like you've taken a step back, days where you are taking a step forward, and days where you feel like you've stayed the same. Today, I felt as though I stayed the same. The only thing is, staying the same is not taking a step backwards; and, I have to keep reminding myself of that.

Making it through the bullpen session pain free is the priority, and that was accomplished. Command, feel, and velocity will come gradually.

--Next bullpen is Friday (2/19).

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard