Sunday, February 7, 2010

UTR Interview: Evan Scribner

Evan Scribner
San Diego Padres

For this Under The Radar Interview, I had the opportunity to get up with a good buddy of mine in the San Diego organization, Evan Scribner. "Scrib" was acquired by San Diego in a trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks for 1B Tony Clark. Since being drafted in the 28th round out of Central Connecticut State, Scrib has done nothing but put up numbers at every level he has faced. In 2009, he was an All-Star closer for the AA San Antonio Missions of the Texas League. He is a prime example of how you can be successful by repeating your delivery, commanding your fastball, and challenging hitters on the inner-half.

That being said, here is the interview:

UTR: What is the best advice, in terms of the mental side of the game, that you have ever received?

ES: Keep it simple. This advice is something I definitely live by when I’m pitching. The fewer things I have to think about or focus on, the more I can trust myself and trust my "stuff". Whenever I find myself thinking about mechanics or anything other than how to get this certain batter out while I’m on the mound is when I get in trouble.

UTR:
What do you do to overcome stretches in your career when you haven't been as successful or after a bad outing?

ES:
After a bad outing I’m always very down. I’m very hard on myself, and it always seems like the world is going to end or something. Then I gather my thoughts, and I force myself to realize that its only one outing; and, it’s not the "end of the world". I have to look at the big picture. I think about why I was unsuccessful and learn from it. That’s when I realize that in the long run this outing will make me a better pitcher. Stay positive.

UTR: When you are most successful? What takes place?

ES: Usually I have good outings when I’m able to get ahead in the count and throw my off speed for strikes. Again, I like to keep it simple; so, this is all I really worry about when I’m warming up for an outing. However, it’s always a different story from the bullpen to the game; so, it’s important for me to remember to stick with the game plan while I’m in the game.

UTR: What is the mechanical aspect you focus on the most?

ES: My biggest problem since I’ve been in high school is flying open. This usually starts when I’m trying to do too much, which goes back to keeping it simple. When I fly open, I lose control of my location; which causes me to be up in the zone and fall behind in the count. This is something I force myself to fix before I go into the game because, if I’m trying to fix it during an outing, it's usually to late.

UTR:
Over the course of your career, which hitter has been the toughes
t out?

ES: Chris Carter (AA Midland, Oakland Athletics)

UTR: What advice do you have on reading a hitter's stance or swing?

ES: When it comes to reading hitters' stances, again, I like to keep it simple. I try to pitch to my strengths not to the batter's weaknesses; so, I don’t pay much attention to hitters' stances unless it’s something very obvious. Things like how far a batter stands off the plate or if the batter's stance is open or closed are things I will only look for if the batter is doing one of them to an extreme. My reads are simple: too far off the plate or too much of an open stance = outside with fastballs and more off speed. Right on the plate or too much of a closed stance = bust him in.

UTR: Is there anything, in particular, that you do between outings that helps prepare you for your next start/relief appearance?

ES: As a reliever, I never know when my next outing is going to be; so, there isn’t much I can do to prepare for my next outing on a consistent basis. Sometime, I will have an outing that will last a couple of innings; then, I will know that I’m not going to be on the card the next day. After an outing like that, I will make sure I get a good lift in after the game (mostly legs); and, the next day I will do long distance run before BP to flush my body (especially my arm). Otherwise, most of my preparation comes during the game. Things like a snack in between the 3rd and 5th inning and stretching/band work a half inning before I warm up are things I do to make sure I’m well prepared for an outing.

UTR: Is there a pitcher that you grew up watching or aspiring to be like? If so/not, why?

ES: David Cone was somebody I liked to watch growing up being a Yankee fan. I liked the way he used his curveball and his ability to locate his fastball. When I was growing up, I even used to drop down on some pitches like he did. Also, Mariano Rivera, another Yankee, is someone who I definitely aspired to be like. I don’t have the same stuff as his, obviously. I don’t think anybody does; but, his mental ability to be cool under pressure is something I aspire for completely.

UTR: Do you tell yourself or do anything different in pressure/big situations?

ES: Again, I try to keep it simple. I try to relax and pitch my game because there’s really nothing else I can do. When things feel like there getting out of hand or I really need an out, I take a deep breath and focus on the task at hand. I don’t let anything else get in the way.

-Many thanks to Evan for taking the time to sit down and do an interview for Under the Radar. His knowledge and experience should have a great impact on those who read the blog.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. how to get a utr number

    ReplyDelete

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard