Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bullpen Report: #5

Tuesday February 24, 2010

Number of Pitches: 35

Goals:

1-Repeat the delivery and armslot
2-Work down in the zone and to both sides of the plate with both fastballs and changeups
3- Keep the back foot square; no matter how unnatural it feels.
4- Execute 3 out of 5 3-2 counts
5- Trust the shoulder and work at 75-80% intensity

Pitches: 1-5: Stretch- 2 FB Gloveside, 2 FB Armside, 1 Change-up Armside
Pitches: 6-10: Windup- 2 FB Gloveside, 2 FB Armside, 1 Change-up Armside
Pitches: 11-15: Stretch- 2 FB Gloveside, 2 FB Armside, 1 Change-up Gloveside
Pitches: 16-20: Windup- 2 FB Gloveside, 2 FB Armside, 1 Change-up Gloveside
Pitches: 21-25: Stretch- 2 FB Gloveside, 2 FB Armside, 1 Change-up Armside
Pitches: 26-30: Strech- All 3-2 Counts- FB Glove, Arm, Glove, Change-up Glove, Arm
Pitches: 31-35: Simulated Hitter-FB glove, FB arm, Change arm, FB glove, Change arm- Done

Overall, I am very pleased with the progress I have been able to make from one bullpen to the next. Like I have mentioned in previous posts, coming back from surgery is full of winning (and occasionally losing) small battles. Whether mental or physical, there are constantly battles. Today's battle was my right foot, the one responsible for my balance. It's caught my attention at times in previous years and the past few weeks. I've noticed that I have developed a minor habit of not squaring the outside of my right foot up against the rubber (during both stretch and windup). My back heel wants to twist toward home plate, so that my toes aren't pointing straight toward third base. Instead, they're pointing more toward the third baseman (not ideal). It can be difficult at times to recognize a flaw such as this and even harder to admit to yourself that you're doing something wrong.

Fortunately, as soon as I focused on squaring my foot flush against the rubber, I felt and saw immediate results.
My natural tendency is to land with my left foot 3-4 inches closed off from a straight line to home plate. So, you can imagine how challenging it would be to consistently spot a low and away fastball (to a righty) with my right heel turned in; aiming me just behind the right handed batter's box.

I can best describe it as if a golfer were trying to hit a straight drive down the left side of the fairway and aiming both feet toward the rough on the right. Pretty tough; at least, if he has any desire to be consistent.
So, like I s
aid, once my foot was squared away, it was so much easier to hit that spot down and away to righties.

Another battle that I am starting to win is the battle to trust my shoulder. I have been pain free (not full "game strength") for the past four bullpens and have been fortunate to continue feeling the progress. There is no doubt that this battle is mental, and it is being won because of the time put forth preparing prior to spring training. Had I not put the time in and/or worked with the guys at Architech Sports religiously while in Charlotte, this battle could be taking a much longer time (according to other guys having gone through this).
Am I there yet? No; but, I can't complain after today.

Got to keep grinding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2010 Under the Radar: A Professionally Unprofessional Blog from a Minor League Pitcher By Robert Woodard